The Girls’ Club at Golfuture YYC is a proven program based on the premise that we can encourage more young girls to experience all of the positives and life skills the game of golf has to offer in a non threatening, positive, fun filled “girls only” learning environment. Our coaches and program coordinators have years of experience ensuring the girls will love the program and develop their skills and knowledge of the game. Girls will participate in weekly golf lessons, fun crafts and fundamental golf movement and skill development exercises.
The Girls’ Club focuses on introducing girls to the game and developing their skills to be prepared and confident for social competition. While developing friendships and learning how to compete many of the girls will be happy to remain playing at this level while others will progress and desire to compete on a tougher scale. The important point is the Girls’ Club program prepares them and offers that choice.
Based on extensive feedback and research of junior development, we’ve modified the class structure slightly. Essentially, for the Spring season, there is one 8-session series, and two 4-sessions series. Our weekly activities are fun and engaging while promoting skill development. The program also offers enough individual instruction to be well suited for all age and skill levels.
Friday Evening Play Nights are a great opportunity for the girls to practice their skills and have the chance to try them out on the course! We will be releasing the dates for these Play Nights March 1.
A safe, fulfilling introduction to golf.
Suitable for girls aged 7-16
Recognizes skill improvement.
Girls will have the opportunity to learn to play golf, meet other girls their own age and experience competition in a non-threatening environment.
GIRLS CLUB PROGRAM – MAIN FEATURES
A series of 2-hour sessions broken down into 55 minutes of full swing instruction, 25 minutes of short game instruction, and 25 minutes of craft, with 10 minutes of exercise and golf etiquette sprinkled in throughout various times in the day. The girls will rotate through these stations in smaller groups to break up the day and make each activity exciting! Girls Club is a great fit for junior girls of all skill levels, whether they are new to the game or interested in starting competitive play. We do our best to group girls by age and skill level so that it is easy to make friends and form playing groups. Presented by PGA of Canada Class “A” Teaching Professional Bill Murchison and PGA of Canada Community and PGA of Canada Apprentice Kate Griffiths.
GIRLS CLUB CAMP
A week long experience for 3 hours each day that includes full swing and short game instruction, craft, mini golf, and two rounds on the par three course. This camp is a great program for the girls to improve their technical skills and have the opportunity to use them during on-course play. Instructors will support the girls to learn course management, pace of play, and etiquette on the course. The craft station is a very popular component to the Girls Club program and offers a creative break during the day of golf. Presented by PGA Community and NCCP trained coach, Melanie Murchison. Dates to be announced in May.
GIRLS CLUB PLAY NIGHTS
RESERVED FOR 2022 GIRLS CLUB REGISTRANTS ONLY.
Girls Club play nights are scheduled on pre-determined Friday evenings where the girls will participate in a short lesson clinic by coaches Bill and Kate. After the clinic, the girls will head over to Golfuture YYC’s 9 hole, Par 3 course for a supervised playing lesson.
OPTIONAL WITH LIMITED SPACE – Additional Fees Apply
2022 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
|GIRLS CLUB #1 (8 sessions)||SATURDAY, April 30 – June 25, 2022||12:30 – 2:30pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB #2 (4 sessions)||SATURDAY, April 30 – May 28, 2022||3:00 – 5:00pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB #3 (4 sessions)||SATURDAY, June 4 – June 25, 2022||3:00 – 5:00pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB #5 (4 sessions)||Monday, July 5 – July 8, 2022||10:00am – 12:00pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB SUMMER CAMP #1||Mon, July 18 – Fri. July 22, 2022||9:00am-12:00pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB SUMMER CAMP #2||Mon. July 18 – Fri. July 22, 2022||12:30pm-3:30pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB SUMMER CAMP #3||Mon. July 25 – Fri. July 29, 2022||9:00am-12:00pm||Click Here|
|GIRLS CLUB SUMMER CAMP #4||Mon. Aug. 8 – Fri. Aug. 12, 2022||9:00am-12:00pm||Click Here|
GIRLS CLUB TERMS & CONDITIONS
GIRLS CLUB INSTRUCTORS
Melanie grew up playing golf in Calgary with her family, and became a competitive player during high school. She was a member of the 2015 Team Alberta for junior girls, and the University of Victoria Vikes from 2015-2020. In her final season she was captain of the Vikes women’s team. Melanie completed her PGA of Canada Community Golf Coach certification in 2015, and pursued further coaching training through the NCCP during her time at the University of Victoria. She is passionate about girls in sport, working with youth, and making golf fun for junior girls. Melanie has a friendly and caring personality that the junior girls look forward to each year at Girls’ Club.
Girls’ Club Coach, 2015 – Present
BSc. Kinesiology , University of Victoria, 2020
NCCP Coaching Certification Streams A and B, 2020
BLS Healthcare Provider CPR, 2020
PGA of Canada Community Coach, 2015
Little Vikes Junior Tour Volunteer 2015-2020
Bill is truly committed to the growth of the game of Golf and is passionate about teaching and coaching Junior’s. Bill has been the lead instructor with the Girls Club program for years. Bill’s primary focus is for the Girl’s to have a great experience, learn and love the game and become lifetime players.
- Strongly Believes that students must understand the swing and what they are trying to execute
- Believes that passion is the key to meaningful or elite achievement
- Strives to develop a love for sport in all students
- A bit old school, but still teaches etiquette and life skills along with the basic fundamentals
FUN FACTS ABOUT BILL
- Both of his Kids (Melanie and Max) attended University on College Golf Scholarships
- Played in the 1988 Allan Cup and was invited to the Calgary Flames Training camp the same year. Still honored and proud to be an active member of the Calgary Flames Alumni
- NCCP Hockey Coach Having Coached Junior B and AA where a player was a former player was a first round NHL draft pick.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACCOLADES
- Joined PGA of Canada in 1982 – 18 Years as a Head Professional
- CDC Certified (Highest Golf Coaching Level Available in Canada)
- Alberta Golf Experiences
- Team Alberta Coach 2017 Canada Summer Games
- Coach High Performance Camps 1992 – 2003
- Golf Canada Experiences
- National Order of Merit Committee
- Sport Development Committee
- National Golf in Schools Committee
- Future Links Life Skills implementation Committee
- Director of Instruction and Corporate Programs (Calgary Centre)
- Former Director, Professional Golfers’ Association of Alberta and President (PGA of Alberta)
- 5 Students of Bill’s, while Head Professional at Silver Springs, personally combined for the following –
- 2 Men’s US Open Appearances
- 2 Women’s US Open Appearances
- 3 National (and multiple provincial) Championships
- 3 Students made round of 16 in the same (1998) Men’s Canadian Amateur
- Played in a few Canadian Tour Events, only Professional Win was APGA Shootout at The Innisbrook Copperhead course in Florida.
- Bill has had students who worked with him as juniors in Golf Canada or WAGR rankings in the top 20 in Canada in each of the last four decades including Men’s # 1, Women’s #3 ’s and most recently Junior # 2 in 2020 and Men’s # 13 in 2021.